Monday, February 20, 2012

Florida, Part 1


I've returned from the land of the v. elderly and am relieved to again be living in a world of iPhone literacy and agile limbs.  Don't get me wrong, I had a stupendous time lounging in the Florida humidity with my mother, but the idea of spending one more night in an RV park was a little too overwhelming for my city sensibilities.  Not that I dislike M & D's RV- which is a strange combination of a Barbie Dream House and a Transformer, complete with wood cabinetry and pull-out sinks- but let's just say that coming home to a proper shower was one of the best parts of the trip. Here are the other highlights:
  1. Spending time with the woman who birthed me.  Love you, Mom!  
  2. Ocean kayaking.  My mom and I were surprised by how difficult it was to point the kayak in a straight line and paddle through the water, but we learned upon evacuating the kayak that we had been paddling it backwards the entire time.  I guess if you position the rudders in the back of the kayak it's a lot easier to navigate.  As consolation, my sore shoulders made me feel as though I actually got some exercise doing it incorrectly. 
  3. Whether we were on the beach, in a restaurant, or just chilling in our RV, I was comforted in knowing that I was the youngest and most attractive person within a 45-mile radius.  Who doesn't like being the prettiest girl in the RV park? 
  4. I read all three books in the Hunger Games trilogy.  Suzanne Collins totally pulled me in with Katniss and Peeta's story, but I was v. tempted to take a red pen and slash through all the unnecessary dialogue, overused language, and repetition the entire time I was reading.  There's a reason it only took me two days to read those books, and it isn't just because I'm a fast reader... 
  5. Florida sunsets.  There's nothing lovelier than sitting on a beach and watching the sun go down with someone you love next to you to enjoy it with.  Am I right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment