Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cards & Bars


It's been a long day of sorting through things, wondering why I still have them, throwing most of them away, and packing what little remains into boxes.  It's amazing how much stuff we accumulate in our lives, and how much of it is left unused and unloved.  It's also amazing how much totally useless stuff we hold onto- buttons, ripped hosiery, dried-up pens and cocktail napkins full of notes that long ago lost their meaning.  I'm doing my best to put aside my nostalgia and throw as much stuff as possible away, and so far I think I'm doing a mighty fine job. 

Moving forward, I'm dedicated to the idea of buying from artisans.  Whether it be a table or a t-shirt, I want to focus on buying goods that are made with love by someone who is passionate about their craft.  I also want to focus on buying local, which is something I try to always do already.  I like supporting local boutiques, restaurants, vendors at farmers markets, and artisans.  I'm passionate about helping unique small businesses succeed, and part of that is by using my purchasing power to make sure they do just that- succeed.  

After a long day of packing, my back is aching (I'm pathetic) and I'd like to settle into a comfortable pub for a couple rounds of drinks and cards.  In fact, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do.  Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment