Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cocktail Ambassador



For those of you who read my little bio over there on the right and think, Cocktail Ambassador... wtf? I'm happy to say I'm here to enlighten you.

When David and I were first talking about moving to the UK I had a two very serious concerns.  The first was how readily I'd be able to purchase my favorite bar staples- things like jiggers, craft-made bitters and my favorite whiskey.  My second was that our Hobbit Town likely wouldn't have any real bars where we could hang out and meet new friends.  In light of these two obstacles, I decided that I would move here as a sort of evangelist of the cocktail movement- a Cocktail Ambassador, if you will.  In my head, my Ambassadorship marries my love for brand development to my other love, cocktailing* and I can say with great certainty that it will be a great marriage, indeed!  

I'm not going to give away any secrets regarding my Master Plan, but essentially what this means is that I'll be hand-selecting bars that already have a successful cocktail presence, and helping them focus their brand, provide something special, and create a really wonderful customer experience. Because you guys, there are some bars here that kind of get it right, but they could be getting it SO RIGHT, and I think I can really help them. 

What this means for you as a reader is that you'll have to see and read a lot more about cocktails (I know, I know, you thought it was bad already...) as I'll be sharing my favorite places to celebrate the cocktail hour(s) and notes on my favorite drinks.  This journey will be interesting seeing as it's difficult to get a good drink in this country (especially at a reasonable price), and it's even more difficult to get good service.  When I bring this up to residents here, they just shrug and say that it's the English way, but now I'm here and I'm asking, But what if it doesn't have to be? 

So now you know what a Cocktail Ambassador is.  Hurray!    


*Cocktailing is the combination of drinking, getting to know people, and having a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment