Friday, June 8, 2012

I've Got Mail


I GOT MAIL!  This is very, very exciting.  One, I love getting mail.  Two, this is mail from my mother, who has very beautiful penmanship and lives in Minnesota.  Three, this card speaks to my soul

The card is by Saturn Press in Swan's Island, Maine and I'm a little bit heartbroken because I can't find their website- presuming they have one- and would love to learn more about them and see more of their Letterpress work.  I have, however, found an online retailer.  I especially like their Animal Tracks in the Snow and Names of the Full Moon cards, too.  But obviously the one my mom got me is the best one of all. 

The Austin Phelps quote on the front reminds me of when Gertrude Stein once said, "You can either buy clothes or buy pictures."  The first time I read that in Hemingway's A Moveable Feast* it really resonated with me.  Often when I'm shopping, I think back on this quote and try my best to purchase clothes that are like art for this very reason (how clever of me... my clothes are my pictures, Gertrude!).  But really, like this card says, I often find myself caving to buy books rather than clothes, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thank you to my beautiful mother for such a thoughtful and sweet card.  Reading it made me weep, and I love and miss you very much indeed.

*I realized as I unpacked my books a few weeks ago that my copy of A Moveable Feast is missing from my collection.  This is devastating because it's one of my favorite books of all time and I was looking forward to rereading it this summer.   Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I loaned it to a friend after drinking too much wine and going on and on and on about how much I love Hemingway.  So, whoever you are who has my book with underlined passages and notes in the margins, I hope you like the book.  And let me know if you have it because I'm curious who I gave it to.  I won't ask for it back, but I will ask you this: what's your favorite part? 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked the card, I bought it a long time ago with you in mind. When I read about you unpacking your books and welcoming them as old friends it reminded me of this card. How appropiate to lean it on a vase (or pitcher) of sweet william, I'm sure you did that just for me. Love you, xoxo, Mom

    ReplyDelete