Friday, September 7, 2012

Delpy, Mingus, Bitches


If the internet didn't exist, I would be so productive.  Do you ever feel that way, too?  Like, it's such a curse that the technology that allows for us to be incredibly adept at what we do and allows us to communicate from all around the globe and seek out endless sources of inspiration and knowledge is also the biggest time suck of our lives.  To make my weekly internet wanderings a little more justifiable, I thought it would be nice to share some of my favorite gems with you and maybe you can share some of your favorites with me.  It'll be fun!  Let's begin:

A couple weeks ago, I watched and loved Julie Delpy's 2 Days in Paris.  I thought it was charming, witty and unique and really liked Chris Rock in the role of Mingus (what a great name, Mingus).  I've always liked Delpy's work and am so glad she makes movies on her own terms and says ridiculous/not ridiculous things, like she does in this Village Voice article. She's a force to be reckoned with; I want to have a talk-all-night sleepover with her. Or maybe just a lunch date.  With wine. Or maybe dinner.

Speaking of Mingus, listen to one of my all-time favorite jazz tunes, Fables of Faubus by Charles Mingus (instrumental version, lyric version).  It's badass.  He's badass! 

One thing that constantly amazes me is how giving the internet is.  If you want a video compilation of your favorite Breaking Bad characters saying 'Bitch', you got it!  David and I have been trying to master the Jesse Pinkman delivery for weeks but we seem to be lacking some of the malice.  As always, practice makes perfect!

When I'm procrastinating on my own creative projects, I like to snoop on the creative people profiled on Freunde von Freunden.  I read a profile or two, fall in love with the studios and homes, and then think, Oh my goodness, what am I doing?! and go back to getting my work done.  Like right now, for instance; back to the sketchbook I go...

Have a great weekend!  xox

No comments:

Post a Comment