Friday, November 9, 2012

Gettin' My Groove On

Last week, on Halloween, my parents took us to an intimate Colin Vearncombe concert at St. Pancras Old Church.  If you don't know who Colin Vearncombe is, let me enlighten you: he is an artist who is often referred to by his former stage name, Black.  If you still don't know who he is (and you won't, trust), he had a couple hits in the early 90s but his success was mostly in the UK and Europe.  Anyway, my parents are big fans of his.  His music is the music of my childhood and listening to it brings me right back to laying on our living room carpet, wearing a giant yellow plaid dress from The Children's Place (with a matching headband, mind you), listening to Everything's Coming Up Roses and literally imagining the world around me in bloom.  It was pretty trippy for being eight, but sometimes music makes you trip out.  You know? 

Anyway, Mr. Vearncombe had a lovely young woman named Liz Lawrence open for him.  She was genuine and sang nice songs.  I liked her voice and, from her overgrown bangs down to the tips of her Converse, she was pretty much adorable. Check her out.

And this, friends, is why I don't take pictures at concerts:


In other music news, I've been listening to Solange's Losing You on repeat for the last 12 hours.  More specifically, I've been watching it on repeat.  Her style is fantastic, the video is fantastic, it is all fantastic- especially her hair.  Her hair is fantastic to the extreme.  I cannot get enough. 

What are you listening to these days, dear reader?   Is there anything out there that you just can't get enough of?  I'm always looking for something new to groove to, especially now that my studio is almost complete (eeeeek!) and I need something to help me power through the creative-blocks that present themselves when I'm getting work done.  Alone.  In my studio! 

:)

2 comments:

  1. Check out Shakatak. They are an old school English jazz funk band that were huge at the height of the punk era in the early 80's even though they are definitely NOT punk at all. Maybe because they were anti-punk is why people liked them. Used to go see them at a little place in Newmarket back then. Lovely band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your recommendation, dear Anonymous! I'm already familiar with some of their music (albeit very little and it was quite a long time ago) but I will certainly give them a hefty listen very soon!

      Delete